Benefits of using a Pet Sitter
Pet ownership in the United States is continually on the rise. Currently, 63 percent of all American households have pets. The U.S. pet population includes some 73 million dogs, 90 million cats and 16 million birds plus fish, hamsters and other animals. These pets are happiest when they're home, surrounded by familiar sights, smells and sounds.
For years, pet owners faced a dilemma when they had to be away from home. Limited care options were available. One choice was boarding at a kennel or vet. Another was turning to family, friends, neighbors or a professional boarder. But these solutions were seldom ideal.
A new alternative - pet sitting - has changed all that. Today, pet sitters - professional pet caregivers - look after an animal or animals, at home, while their owner is away. Pet sitting has taken the anxiety out of leaving a pet behind, which is why it is one of the nation's fastest growing industries.
Pet sitting offers the best of all worlds - for pets and their owners. Trauma is minimized. Owners need not go through the ordeal of transporting unhappy pets and worrying that they might be exposed to other animals' illnesses. Animals get to stay in their familiar environment, maintain their diet and exercise routine and are attended to by caring professionals
Professional pet sitting allows owners to confidently leave their pets home, knowing that they'll receive the love and care they so rightly deserve.
Benefits of Using a Pet Sitter
Using a professional pet sitter reaps benefits for both pets and their owners.
Once you experience professional pet care in your home, you'll never worry about being away from your pet again.
Benefits to your Pet include:
- Staying at home in his/her safe, secure environment
- Being surrounded by familiar sights, smells and sounds
- Following his/her regular diet and exercise routine
- Having play time
- Receiving love and personal attention
- Maintaining medical treatment, when required
- Having someone responsible in case of an emergency
- Eliminating the trauma of travel or an unfamiliar environment
- Ensuring good health (no exposure to other animals' illness or parasites)
Benefits to the Owner include:
- Knowing that your pet is in caring, loving hands
- Having the confidence that the pet sitter can deal with other issues - such as grooming, vet visits
- Eliminating the trauma of having to transport and leave your pet
- Not having to impose on family, friends or neighbors
- Feeling your home is more secure (with someone going in and out several times a day)
Not all pet sitters are created equal, nor are they all professional. In hiring a pet sitter, it is important to make sure you have chosen the right person to care for your beloved animal.
Hiring a Pet Sitter
Hiring a pet sitter is a serious process. Make sure the person you choose is trained and professional. He/she will not only be responsible for your pet, but also will have regular access to your home.
Once you have identified a potential pet sitter:
- Develop a set of questions and conduct a thorough interview
- Ask for references
- Request proof of bonding and liability insurance coverage
- Make sure he/she interacts well with your pet
Services and fees can very widely. Be sure to determine:
- what your needs are
- exactly how much services will cost